FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Who can apply for NYC Fashion Fellows?
- To be considered for the fellowship, applicants must:
- Be nominated by current supervisor
- Have at least 3-7 years of work experience
- Be employed by a NYC-based fashion company or internationally-based fashion company with US headquarters in NYC
- Have an outstanding track record of achievement
- Have interest in pursuing top-level executive positions at companies across the fashion industry
- Have a demonstrated commitment to serving society and NYC at large
- Submit all required materials
- Attend mandatory events including: opening reception, minimum three seminars, minimum three CEO breakfasts, and closing reception. Event dates to be announced in December 2013.
- Meet at least quarterly with paired mentor
Do I need to be nominated in order to apply?
- Yes, you must be nominated in order to apply for the fellowship. Your supervisor must nominate you by filling out the nomination form.
What if I currently do not have a supervisor?
- If you are interested in applying and do not currently have a supervisor (i.e., independent contractor, CEO or Founder) your nomination can come from a colleague you have worked closely with in the past year.
Do I have to work in NYC to apply?
- Yes, you must be employed by a NYC-based company or internationally-based company with US headquarters in New York City. Applicants should live in the tri-state area as all events will take place in New York City.
I am a designer; can I apply for the fellowship?
- Unfortunately, no, the fellowship is for individuals in fashion management only. Fashion management positions include but are not limited to: Merchandiser, Product Development, Business Development, Marketing, Public Relations, Retail Buyer, Account Executive, Wholesale, Financial Planner and Human Resources. Please visit the Fashion.NYC.2020 page to learn more about other initiatives that may interest you.
When is the application deadline?
- Nomination Form must be submitted by September 30, 2013.
- Applications must be submitted October 22, 2013.
Please note that all required materials must be submitted on time for the applicant to be considered for the fellowship.
When does the fellowship start and end?
- The fellowship will begin in January 2014 and end in December 2014. A detailed itinerary of events will be sent to accepted fellows in early December 2013.
When will I receive notice that I was accepted/not accepted for the fellowship?
- You will receive notice via email by early December 2013.
How many Fellows will be selected?
- 15-20 Fellows will be selected.
Do I get to choose my Mentor?
- No, 92Y, NYCEDC and the Advisory Committee will pair Fellows with Mentors. Fellows will be matched with Mentors who will be able to provide them with relevant industry insights as well as guidance on how to achieve their individual goals.
I applied and haven’t heard back. How should I proceed?
- If you haven’t received notice by the above dates, please check your spam filter for an email from nycfashionfellows@92Y.org. Otherwise, please email nycfashionfellows@92Y.org.
I applied to the program but can no longer attend. What should I do?
- Please send an email to nycfashionfellows@92Y.org notifying the Selection Committee that you would like to withdraw your application.
I applied to the program but have since accepted a job offer outside of NYC. Can I still apply?
- No, unfortunately. You must work in NYC to participate in this program. Please send an email to nycfashionfellows@92Y.org with notification that you would like to withdraw your application.
How much does it cost to participate in Fashion Fellows NYC?
All programming is offered free of charge to Fellows. However, please note that the program does not cover incidental costs (e.g., transportation).
How much work will I miss?
- There are three mandatory half-day seminars that will take place during the workweek during the program. In addition, there will be three breakfasts that will conclude by 10:30 am. All other scheduled events will take place after 6 pm.